Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Swimming Through Life

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

JUST BECAUSE

The Rogue Speaks:

In the last two weeks, two very sweet friends have forwarded political posts to me.  They don't know me like you do, so they don't realize that I am not of the same political persuasion.  Just because you support one political party, please do not assume that all your friends support that party as well.

I receive way more emails from the opposition party supporters than  I do from my own.  I'm not sure what this means, exactly, but I would like to think that my own party is a lot more comfortable in what it stands for than is the opposition, and doesn't need to send out crude and insulting emails about the other party.  We're a lot smarter than that.  Eventually, the other party will screw up on its own, and it doesn't need any "help" from me.

This goes for religion as well.  I am very comfortable with my own spiritual beliefs,  and they are very personal to me, so  I rarely discuss my spirituality with anyone.  Just because   you are a member of a certain religious group, don't assume that all your friends are members of that group as well.  If and when you find out that you and I do not have the same beliefs, please don't try to convert me, or admonish me for my beliefs.  And if you no longer want to be my friend just because my beliefs are different, believe me, that is your loss.

Just because  you and I were both raised in the south, don't assume that I believe one race is superior to another.  I figured out that falsehood on my own, when I was a child.  Some people never do, though.  Byron De La Beckwith, Jr., 64 years old, still believes that the white race is superior, and still freely uses the "N" word.  In case you don't recognize that name, his father, Byron De La Beckwith, was, in 1994, convicted of murdering civil rights leader, Medgar Evers on June 12, 1963.  64 is a lot of years to be so outspoken and stay so ignorant, don't you think??

Now you know how I feel about the three most polarizing subjects in America today. And just because you have a lot more interesting offerings to read on Jenny's AlphabeThursday , I urge you to click on the link and start reading!!

20 comments:

Pondside said...

I like to learn about what others believe, about where they live, about their politics, but that love for learning doesn't mean that I share their beliefs or views. I SO appreciate friends who live and let live!

Carol L McKenna said...

Good for you for 'Speaking your mind' ~ more people should ~ passion guided is wonderful ~ thanks,
carol, xxx
www.acreativeharbor.com

JJ said...

Judie: It's been a while. I miss your slant on things. Hope all is well.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I could have written this post - it is so spot on to my life.

I guess because I live in a conservative state in a suitable economic status and am of a certain age, people just assume I have certain beliefs. I probably get three emails a day that rail against something that I actually hold dear to my heart...

It's amazing

Karen S. said...

Oh dear Judie, I Just adore your post, and not Just Because I agree with it all, and not Just Because I know you and I are on the same political side, Hehehe, but because you're Just so adorable! So happy Just to see you post here today!

Bruce Coltin said...

I am with you all the way, and I sure do like it when you get pissed.

Judie said...

Bruce, I am trying not to get as pissed as I used to. I have decided that if I simply present the obvious and most intelligent argument, I can stop the ignorant dead in their tracks.

Karen, you are just an amazing woman! Adorable? Me? I have to say that I don't get called that very often. You? Now, you really ARE adorable!!

Claudia Schlottman said...

Hey, Judie! I'm with you, Sister. There is a saying in Buddhism that goes something like this: we can disagree and still honor the beliefs of others without judgement. It is wrong to denigrate the beliefs of others just because they are not ours. Politically sanctioned meanness is just that, meanness. What good ever grew out of hate? I love this piece! And thanks for your comment on my blog. XOXO

Lmkazmierczak said...

Well said....I enjoy your style; you back up your words without offensive wording to get your point(s) across♪

Judie said...

Laurie, one does not be offensive in order to speak the truth.

BECKY said...

Judie, I miss your posts! You are so smart, funny, and yes...adorable, that I would read anything you wrote here...just because I'd know YOU wrote it and that maybe you'd read MY comment!
(Want to start writing down the names in the phone book? I'd read 'em!)

Gattina said...

I am not American, and we have far more parties then only two, I agree to all what you are writing !! And religion is really a private thing. It would never come into our minds to talk about religion. Everybody does what he wants or believes what he wants. I don't even know if my neighbors go to a church !

EG CameraGirl said...

Judie, you seem so sane to me. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why so many people feel they need to prove that they are right and those with opposite views are wrong when it comes to politics and religion. And you are correct to point out that just because you live somewhere does not mean you hold the views of the majority of the people who also live there. Some - not many - really do know how to think for themselves. ;)

Sue said...

To each her own, I always say….and it would be a dull world indeed if everyone was on the same page!

=)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

To know you is to know where you stand. I love hearing your perspective.

Ames said...

Check!
Check!
Check!
Check!
Well said!~Ames

Splendid Little Stars said...

...what Pondside said.
I do like sharing ideas but I hate close-mindedness. and ignorance.

jeannettestgermain said...

Hello Judy - wish more people would speak up like this! Had a blog "Artistigue" and Art Notes on BlogSpot, but because Google stepped up their tracking, I moved my blog to wordpress.
(they did it in the name of business, but haven't they learned anything from the spying ordered by Obama?)
By the way, lovely grand kids in your side bar - I like the one says she's a fork:)

Judie said...

Jesh, the NSA warrantless surveillance program began in 2001, and was not ordered by Obama, because he was not the president at that time. George Bush was president.

Jenny said...

You are an amazing woman just because you say what is really on your mind...

Thanks for linking to the letter "J"!

A+