Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Swimming Through Life

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mumbo Jumbo

The Rogue Speaks:




"Hello, I am calling you from Windows Tech Support.  It has been indicated to me that you have a serious problem with viruses in your computer, and I have been advised to fix them for you," said the deeply accented voice on the phone that WOKE ME OUT OF A DEEP SLEEP!!!!

"No, no, no, no, no!  Go away! You woke me up!"

"But, ma'am, I am calling to clear your computer of viruses.  I am from Windows Tech Support."

I fumble for my glasses to check the number showing on my phone. "Unknown name, unknown number"

"O.k., so give me your number and I'll call you back when I get to the computer."

"Sorry, ma'am, but I cannot do that.  I must fix your computer now.  I will hold on while you turn on your computer."

"O.k.," I told the caller, "just hold on while I go to my computer."

What a lot of mumbo jumbo! I gently placed the receiver on my nightstand and covered it with an extra pillow.  Then I went back to sleep.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

17 comments:

Pondside said...

Brilliant! It's the only way to deal with those sorts.

carol l mckenna said...

Great job and glad you went back to sleep ~ crazy world we live in sometimes ~ Hope you are warm and cozy ~

thanks, carol and artmusedog
www.acreativeharbor.com

Karen S. said...

Oh thank you for this. Oops wait just a minute, please don't move, I can hardly control myself I've landed on the floor and am rolling in laughter...my dogs are doing that licking thing. Bark, bark, are you okay mommy! Oh sure, it's just that I was reading one of Judie's posts again! I love it!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Love it!

I wonder how long it took them to figure it out.

HAH!

Eden House News and views said...

I can't wait to get one of these calls. My son in law is a computer geek and is fairly sure he will have given the caller a virus by what he told him to do lol

Melody Harrison said...

We did get the same phone call, saying he is calling from Windows Tech Support but still asking what is our operating system! lol

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

You know, they'll just do anything won't they?!! I love it that you put the phone under the pillow! Fixed that Mr. Smarty Pants!

Betty said...

Sadly, there are probably plenty of people that will fall for it. I always got the local police report online where I used to live. At least twice a year some elderly person would wire money somewhere in a scam. I like to think I'll never do anything like that in my old age, but it's happening all the time.

jeannettestgermain said...

Good for you! This is one of the reasons why I don't come on the phone unless I see a number I know:)
About your comment to my boots - so sorry! Are yo going to the doc for your feet?

EG CameraGirl said...

You think fast, Judie, even when you are rudely awakened!

Lola said...

Scams - get them every day here!

Never give up, do they?

Very appropriate M post!

Gattina said...

The right thing to do ! When I get those phone calls to sell me wine, leather sofas or whatever and I see "out of area" on my phone screen, I just take the phone, say "Hello, one moment please" and put the receiver down. After a while they hang on, lol !

fredamans said...

They tried to scam my house, and my in-laws as well.
As soon as I said I was putting a call trace on the phone after hanging up, I have yet to receive a call back.
If they call you, report them. They are trying to steal your information.

Splendid Little Stars said...

disgusting!
(love Karen S's comment)
get 'em back. I'm with you there!

Lmkazmierczak said...

Love the new pillow talk you just invented♪

Ames said...

Ha ha! Love this. I am so tired of unsolicited calls. Does the entire world think we turnips just fallen off a truck? And that "Do Not Register" program? It should be called the " Register to Receive Unwanted Calls" program! It has never worked. ~Ames

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha!!! sounds like a perfect move! Happy to be catching up a bit today with blog visiting!

Blessings & Aloha!