Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Friday, August 31, 2012

OENOMANCY--A MUST-READ

The Rogue Speaks:



Well, I finally have a dashboard again so I can turn in my assignment.  Jenny would never believe that "the dashboard ate my homework."

This has been an  interesting week, politically, wouldn't you say?  The latest idiocy comes from Karl Rove regarding murdering Akin.  Murder is a pretty strong word, don't you think?? Of course, we all know how ruthless Karl is.

  And Clint Eastwood didn't exactly make any one's day last night with his odd ramblings to an empty chair.  I think his reputation as an actor has been seriously tarnished.  Romney's handlers really pissed in their chili by letting Eastwood speak in prime-time.  Despite the marginalizing of women by conservatives lately, Romney felt the need to bring in his wife to shore up his reputation. Isn't that the way it is, though?  The men make fools of themselves, and the wives have to come in a repair the damage.   Too bad she had to be subjected to Clint's mumblings.  She was obviously displeased.  My word to Clint today, "Don't eat the cookies!"

While gazing into my wine glass (oenomancy: divination by studying the appearance of wine),  it came to me in a trance!  This is going to be a pretty wild fall.  In my dream-state, brought on by the third glass, a strange creature slowly came into focus.  Oops!  Sorry! It was just Violet, the feral cat who has adopted us.  And there was Lizzie, barking frantically at the cat--barking, barking, barking, while Violet sat on the ottoman quietly, waiting to put out those claws and swat Liz on the nose.  Mulligan was remaining fairly neutral during all of this--kind of like the Swiss.

Now I know where the term "political animals" comes from.  I hate to place Liz in the category of "conservative," because she is anything but, but she was sounding like one last night with that annoying yapping without really saying anything intelligent.

Violet remained poised and professional, cool, yet on the alert for one slip-up by Liz.  She sat quietly, waiting, waiting for one foolish move by Liz, then SWAT!  Out come the claws!  OUCH!!  Unfortunately, Liz didn't learn her lesson the first time, and there definitely will be another encounter.  Eventually, though, she will learn, and when the votes are finally counted.....Need I say more?

My trance became deeper by the end of the third glass, so I put the cat out, got into my pj's, and climbed into bed.  What! You don't believe in oenomancy?  You think I just had too much wine?  We shall see, my friends.  We shall see.

"Go ahead! Make my day!"

21 comments:

21 Wits said...

Good to see you my friend! I've missed seeing you! In the spirit of Friday, (and the up coming weekend!!!) all I'll say is, where is dirty Harry when you need him?! Yeah, facebook had various funny posts about dear old Clint, I still love him! It's kind of like good old Mel (even his ranting) can't ruin what cool characters he's thrown our way, right! Seriously hope your homework doesn't get eaten up any more! Have a blast this weekend, and pour me a glass of that cool wine too, okay!

21 Wits said...

Gee, just when a great song comes on (makes me stay a bit longer) and my reading writing is finished! :) Ha! Ha!

Gattina said...

We have a little dog across the street who barks all the time just to show that he is the most intelligent and important dog in the whole street. I think too he is a conservative dog, at least compared to my cats, they only meow in a very democratic way, when they have something important to say. That makes all the difference !

Judie said...

Actually, Liz is never conservative--she only sounded that way when the RNC was going on. All that mindless barking!!!

hjdbedfb said...

Of course it was oenomamcy - apparently you can never have too much wine XD Nice 'O' post :)

Naperville Now said...

oenomancy! one can learn so much from Mrs. Matlock's class...glad you are back at it. and I agree, Eastwood rambling was ridiculous.

Ames said...

If you resorted to reading swirl and clarity in your wine glass, the RNC must have really been boring. Should I have been sorry I missed it? I had too many deep thoughts to contend with as well as trying to pound out an AT post to even be distracted by it. I probably should have had a glass or two of wine and gone to bed too.

I don't think my dogs give a rats ass about anything except "Where are we going next?" and cookies. They bark at anything.Bark, eat cookies, poop, ride in daddy's truck, bark, eat cookies, poop. It'a never ending circle.~Ames

RBStyle said...

Hi Judie,
Your post made my morning! Brought a smile to my face. Clever and witty! There's my review :) We were very disappointed to see Mr.Clint Eastwood take part in the circus last night. My husband could not bear it and changed it. Mrs. Mitt did not help the cause...trying too hard...very apparent and insincere.

Have a Beautiful Day!
www.ragazzabazaar.com

SarahBeth said...

Can't help but still love Clint, in spite of his political views. It was pretty bizarre though. I believe I will join you in your practice of oenomancy ....

The Poet said...

My dear Judie,
I love your sense of humor! I'm not much of a drinker and my choice of palette-pleasing wines is usually filtered water straight from my faucet! (LOL) Hope you didn't wake with a hangover! Thanks for sharing.

Every first Saturday of the month, I hold Blog Hop Saturday! You're welcome to linkup any 2 entries. Linky will stay open from 9:00am today - 11:59pm Sunday 2nd. Hope you have a great weekend!

Jo said...

great word choice! boy if I had only two parties to choose from i would probably practice oenomancy more often ... as it is, i will just grab a beer and laugh in turn at the political follies here in Canada!

carol l mckenna said...

Sounds as though you are 'settled in' to your new home ~ great hearing you and that your and your fur persons are enjoying the beach ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Great to have you 'come by' ^_^

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love the sound of oenomancy! I never knew that was what I've been doing.:)

I hated Eastwood's rambling...so disgusting.

Jim said...

I might read into a glass of wine now and then. We now have an almost sampler selection of two-buck charley wines except for the merlot--it was terrible, we remembered that--and I don't think anything would come from gazing into a glass of that. Mrs. Jim wanted to try them all.

Mulligan is a good name for rescue dog. Your Mulligan is good looking.

On Tuesdays we take Mulligans on our first tee shot if we want them. That is all we get and no saving it.
..

anitamombanita said...

well, get your wine ready. Dems are on this week!! :) According to Clint, Obama's acceptance speech will be coming from an empty chair!

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

I wish I could drink so when I am watching the debates or the interviews I could just laugh my bottom off..

Great post, Judie!

EG CameraGirl said...

Ha! This is going to be an interesting fall, to say the least...even from where I sit north of Toronto. Believe it or not, we follow your politics pretty closely up here. I have to admit that oenomamcy is a new word for me!

BECKY said...

Hey Judie! I'd never heard of oenomancy, either. I'm loving all the comments about drinking and listening to political *$#&@!

reflective essay said...

hey judie ....i really like ur cute cat :) love that post !

Jenny said...

You know so many big words!

It's cuz you are so smart and outstandingly wonderful.

I wish someone in politics would, indeed, make my day.

The whole thing is dumb and exhausting and a big fat waste of time and money and...

Okay.

Ummm...

Sorry.

It just makes me cranky!

And...

According to my husband you can never have too much wine!

ha!

I'm glad to hear your settling in a bit. Don't overdo things too much!

Hugs and A+

Splendid Little Stars said...

oenomancy--now there's an art! More people should practice it.
Maybe even the politicians. It could possibly work better than the system now in place or even those proposed.