Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hanging Out On The Corner of Walk And Don't Walk

The Rogue Speaks:
*
I was driving to the mall today to spend my birthday money at Dillard's and I realized I had to make a very critical decision. When I came to the corner of Walk and Don't Walk, I started to get a little tense and sweaty. It was at the infamous corner where I got caught unfairly by the traffic camera and I received my first ever traffic ticket in December of 2008. Yeah, I know this is a very busy intersection, but there is more to it than that. The city fathers chose this intersection for a reason, and I know what it is. You see, on the corner there is a gas station, and the entrance to the station is VERY near the intersection, so if you suddenly realize that you are almost out of gas, you have to turn to get into the station. Of course, you are not the ONLY PERSON who is almost out of gas, so there is a line to get into the station and you have to STOP in the middle of the intersection and wait your turn. While you are waiting, the light turns red and you are CAUGHT by the camera. You had NO IDEA that those people were going to stop, trapping you in the intersection. But the city fathers knew--and they need that $180 that you have to pay for "running a red light." They need it so badly that they also shortened the light! They will claim that they did not, but all of us who were trapped there KNOW they did.
*
There was such an outrage at this obvious attempt to TRICK people at this intersection, that literally hundreds of people picketed the intersection one weekend. This is no joke. The city is using this intersection to make money. They say that is not true, that the intersection is dangerous. Well it isn't half as dangerous as an angry mob waving signs at passing motorists.
*
I was very cautious today at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk. I needed to turn to get to my favorite cocktail napkin store, and I decided to face my fear and turn. Just as I was about to turn, I remembered to check the entrance to the gas station to see if there was a line. There was. I stopped. Even though the light hadn't changed to yellow, I stopped--behind the "wait line." Immediately some jerk behind me blew his horn. I wanted to jump out of the car and go beat on his window and scream at him that unless he had $180 to throw away, he'd better SHUT UP.
*
They got me once--they're not getting me again!

No comments: