Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Just How Far Is "The Ends Of The Earth"?


The Rogue Speaks:

You know that old expression about going to the ends of the earth for something?

Well, that's where I was on Saturday afternoon last. My Best Friend Artist and I went to the reception for the Contemporary Artists of Southern Arizona exhibit at Agua Caliente Park, about an hour east of where I live. Best Friend Artist thought we were almost to Texas.

I am not a good traveler. The Tucson Mall is just at the edge of my comfort zone. Those of you who know me, know that ever since I returned from the 7000 mile car trip we took last May, I have never been the same. I have night sweats, and sometimes the sight of the front seat of Rod's car makes me get all shaky, and everything starts to go black.

I did travel outside my comfort zone on Saturday, however, and it was well worth it. The reception was wonderful, and the art was superb. My encaustics teacher, Diane Bailey-Haug took best of show. Diane's photo is the larger of the two above. I took a picture with her ribbon, but it was a little too blurry. The show was entitled "Flight and Feathers," and if you look closely, you can see the cardinals in Diane's beautiful collage. The woman is certainly gifted!


I can see why Agua Caliente Park is a favorite for artists to sketch and paint. I took a few pictures, but the wind was blowing a little too briskly for me, and it was down right chilly. I may go back there when the weather is a LOT warmer, and do some sketching. You should check this place out! It has WATER! And WATERFOWL! You can't feed them, but they sure know how to beg!

I saw another collage that was very lovely, by artist Ruth Canada (top photo). There are sections of burlap that make up the eagle. Look carefully. It is a very clever use of a textile, and the colors are some of my favorites. Ruth loves to paint birds with an attitude. You can see more of Ruth's work by going to her website: http://www.ruthcanada.com/


I am still plugging away with encaustics. Currently I am trying to make some sense of two paintings that I did before I took Diane's class. I may bring one to the Guild's critique on Saturday morning, so I can find out how to make it better. It may take a lot to do that!

So I guess I will see you at 8:30 on Saturday morning, when we all fill up on bacon at the Hometown Buffet. You may have to fight Best Friend Artist for the bacon tongs, though.

No comments: