Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Thursday, August 18, 2011

R is for Robert Redford



Today, August 18, is Robert Redford's 75th birthday! Man, does that make me feel old!!! Remember how some of us female AARP members swooned over him in "The Way We Were?"

Robert was a rascal in high school. One of his pastimes was stealing hub caps! He managed to graduate, though, and went on to the University of Colorado on a basketball scholarship. Unfortunately, he was kicked out for doing way too much drinking. He studied art at the Pratt Institute, then headed to Europe to live the life of an artist. He later returned to New York, and studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, where he met and married Lola Van Wagenen in 1958. The two had four children, but divorced in 1985.

His first big roll was the part of Sundance in "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" in 1969.

He named his famed Sundance Film Festival after his character in the film. Remember the scene where Butch and Sundance jumped off that cliff into a river??

I have seen "Jeremiah Johnson" (1972) more times than I care to admit. It is one of my favorite Redford films.

"The Sting" came out in 1973. I think it was more of a guy film, but Redford sure looked fine in that tux!


"The Great Gatsby" (1974) wasn't a box office hit, but I still loved it!


"The Natural" came out in 1984. What a sweet story that was!


The next year Redford starred with Meryl Streep in "Out of Africa," another one of my favorite films. I cried my eyes out during the memorial scene!


I didn't really mean to go on so long here, but I had a serious crush on the guy for a lot of years. Not only was he sexy, but he has done so much for the movie industry over the years, as an actor, a director, and a philanthropist. He's a good citizen, too.

Happy Birthday, Robert!! Thanks for all the great films!

p.s. I wrote this late on Thursday, and forgot to tell you all to read the other offerings for Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday. I'm heading there now to catch up on MY reading!!

24 comments:

Heather Lynn said...

I can see why so many were captivated by him!

Karen S. said...

Oh my gosh, who would ever imagine that he's reached his 70's, really?! I absolutely have been crazy about him (still am) and if I had to pick the best film, (although why he has to die in my two most fave films, Out Of Africa and The Great Gatsby....2nd...although they all have and will continue to be winners for me! What a great R tribute...Happy birthday dear handsome man! Long may you live!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Happy 75th birthday to Robert Redford.

lovely memories on your favorite star.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

your entry is always unique and lovely.

bless your weekend.
Cheers.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

A definitely handsome actor!

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you sooo much for stoppin by! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Pat said...

What's not to love about this guy? He makes every woman's heart beat faster...and not only a good actor but a fine director. His films are always classy.

My name is Riet said...

Can;t believe he is that old already Great R word

Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be fun to play remote control sing along with Robert!

Sarah said...

Wow, I didn't know I missed so many of his films. I hope I can still find them. He was so handsome, but he didn't age well, like Paul, his partner in crime.

Ames said...

I think my hubby has Jeremiah Johnson on Tape or DVD and still watches it when it comes on TV. I am a big fan of Redford. I love the story Out of Africa the best.But I think his western roles were perfect for a young Redford. These are a few of his movies not listed above that I liked too: The Horse Whisperer and An Unfinished Life. He's got a good lookin face doesn't he! :D ~Ames

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

There aren't any great movie stars anymore. I haven't all of the movies you mentioned, so its nice to have a few choices when there is nothing much at the box office.
Dana

Cindy Adkins said...

He is amazing and he is so good in everything he does. I love "The Way We Were." So often, I find myself quoting so much of that movie....The ending--gosh, it's heartbreaking--Katie had so much character and conviction.

xo
Cindy

Jo said...

oh he was one of my movie star crushes for soooo long. I loved him in The way we were" ... what a fabulous "r" post !

Gattina said...

75 ! wow, that doesn't make me younger either. He was never my type of man, but for a blond he is handsome, lol ! I prefer the George Cloony style.

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Judie, I really enjoyed your post! Brought back so many memories! Didn't realize that he was 10 years older. Wonderful guy and I have to admit that I did have a crush on him, too.

Thanks for your comments about my painting process. They mean a lot coming from you. It's hard for me to keep a steady hand, but I keep trying!

Joann Mannix said...

Hi Judie,

I'm finally trying ever so hard to catch up with all my wonderful friends.

First of all, congratulations on your book! I just downloaded it. When my nieces come, I'll make sure to read it to them. What a sweet, sweet story and such beautiful illustrations. You done good, Mama!

And as for Mr. Redford, how I have loved that man. My mother adored him and in turn my sisters and I did the same. Some of my favorites are Barefoot In the Park and The Way We Were. Man, he was so beautiful in those. And of course, Out of Africa. And I love the fact that he hasn't felt the need to cut his face apart in an effort to look young. I think he looks fantastic. Such a yummy man.

C. J. Smith said...

He is definitely one of my favorite actors, too!

Vicki/Jake said...

grrrr....haven't been able to blog comment for awhile again. But here I am. I adore Redford also, would love to sit and talk to him about a true story I have about my grandparents... Like that would happen:) Anyway, thanks for this great R post and for coming to see me too:)

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

He is still so adorable and sexy at the same time - is that possible? I love everyone of his films. It's hard to imagine that he is 75 - but he still has that magical grin and twinkly eyes.I love his quote on the Sundance Film Festival site:
"Storytellers broaden our minds: engage, provoke, inspire, and ultimately, connect us.”—Robert Redford, President and Founder

lissa said...

I've not seen any of the films you've mentioned but I have heard Robert Redford even before I start liking movies. I probably have seen some his directed films but can't say which.

great R post. thanks for your visit and for reading my R post. I know it's rather long for most people but I appreciated you just for reading it. thank you & have a lovely day.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

You've listed all the movies that I like with Robert Redford. I have a serious crush with him also..though I was born a little 20 years or so late..

Jenny said...

I was never infatuated with him, for some reason. Every single girl I knew was, though.

I'm sorry he didn't get to meet you. I know you would have swept him off his feet!

Thanks for a fun link, Miss Judie.

A+

Betty said...

I'm old...it's official if Robert Redford is 75. How is that possible?

Unknown said...

I have to admit that Robert Redford is quite handsome. Something about his eyes, I think. He is definitely what I would consider very good looking, especially if you consider the crop of young actors that are popping up in this generation. Even my generation has a few good looking ones but the young actors from this current generation lack that classic good look and charm. Such a pity too.