Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012
There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Just How Far Is "The Ends Of The Earth"?


The Rogue Speaks:

You know that old expression about going to the ends of the earth for something?

Well, that's where I was on Saturday afternoon last. My Best Friend Artist and I went to the reception for the Contemporary Artists of Southern Arizona exhibit at Agua Caliente Park, about an hour east of where I live. Best Friend Artist thought we were almost to Texas.

I am not a good traveler. The Tucson Mall is just at the edge of my comfort zone. Those of you who know me, know that ever since I returned from the 7000 mile car trip we took last May, I have never been the same. I have night sweats, and sometimes the sight of the front seat of Rod's car makes me get all shaky, and everything starts to go black.

I did travel outside my comfort zone on Saturday, however, and it was well worth it. The reception was wonderful, and the art was superb. My encaustics teacher, Diane Bailey-Haug took best of show. Diane's photo is the larger of the two above. I took a picture with her ribbon, but it was a little too blurry. The show was entitled "Flight and Feathers," and if you look closely, you can see the cardinals in Diane's beautiful collage. The woman is certainly gifted!


I can see why Agua Caliente Park is a favorite for artists to sketch and paint. I took a few pictures, but the wind was blowing a little too briskly for me, and it was down right chilly. I may go back there when the weather is a LOT warmer, and do some sketching. You should check this place out! It has WATER! And WATERFOWL! You can't feed them, but they sure know how to beg!

I saw another collage that was very lovely, by artist Ruth Canada (top photo). There are sections of burlap that make up the eagle. Look carefully. It is a very clever use of a textile, and the colors are some of my favorites. Ruth loves to paint birds with an attitude. You can see more of Ruth's work by going to her website: http://www.ruthcanada.com/


I am still plugging away with encaustics. Currently I am trying to make some sense of two paintings that I did before I took Diane's class. I may bring one to the Guild's critique on Saturday morning, so I can find out how to make it better. It may take a lot to do that!

So I guess I will see you at 8:30 on Saturday morning, when we all fill up on bacon at the Hometown Buffet. You may have to fight Best Friend Artist for the bacon tongs, though.

No comments: