Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

If Art Is Eye Candy, Then Poetry Is Food For The Gut

The Rogue Speaks:

I have friends who are not only artists, but poets and writers as well. Where visual art hits you in your "eye" brain, the written word can hit you where you live on a day to day basis--in your gut. I have added some poetry to my blog, the first installment having been written by George deMan, whom I have known for over 40 years. George lives in Atlanta, the city of my birth, and was a MAJOR instrument in the creation of the Atlanta Botanical Garden, among other things. George currently teaches adult classes at Emory University, after having retired from such illustrious publications as The New Yorker Magazine, and Southern Accents/Southern Living Magazine. George was married to my sister, Andrea, until her death from leukemia in August of 2008.

When George and I first met, I was a young married woman with two little children, one who was only two years old at the time, and another who was just an infant. It took a while for me to transition from a Southern mother, tied to the expectations of all women in the South in the 60's, to an artist, who painted, and played with clay, and wrote poetry as well.

I have other friends who write poetry and prose, and from time to time, I will post their creations on my blog. If you want to send me some of your written word, I will be happy to get it, and throw it out for all the world to read. If you do, and you pass this site on to people you know who will appreciate your thoughts, we will have accomplished something important. We will give the world something to hold on to and strive for--creativity and contentment.

And if anyone wants to know about the mating ritual of the Troll Monkey, just let me know.

2 comments:

Amylynn said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! You're going to love the freedom.

-Amylynn Bright
www.thequillsisters.com

im2rt4u said...

Painting's candy for the eyes,
While poems fill the gut.
The dance gives "mussels" to the thighs,
And firms a hammy butt.
Lilting tunes are cream for ears,
Ambrosia sent by God.
Eat it all, you hungry dears,
Art's food for the whole bod.