Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Jekyll Island Beach 2012

Monday, January 18, 2010

The Morning After




The Rogue Speaks:

I must have slept for at least 10 hours last night. Making art is hard work! And two days in a row, all day, with only a lunch break (I ate my sandwich with one hand and painted with the other. I am also a little sore, like all over my body, from using the muscles I hadn't used in a while, including the big one between my ears.

Two of my encaustics are on the right, along with a picture of Diane Bailey-Haug, who is a wonderful and fun teacher. I have included photos of my class-mates in this post. Susan and Mo are in the first picture, then Cherrie and Barbara, and then Phyllis. We all had such a good and creative time, that we thought about moving the clock back an hour when she was out of the room, so we could stay longer. We were a little intimidated at first by array of tuna-sized cans filled with luscious colors. Just a photo of the cans on the heating elements is a work of art!

The most important thing that this class did for me was to drag me out of the knothole I had stuffed myself into a while back, and get me into the frame of mind to create. That's what a good teacher does for you--she stimulates that part of the brain where all those grand ideas are hiding, lying in wait for just the right stimulus to come along to get those synapses firing, so the smoke comes out your ears.

No comments: